There is no more important composer for animated films than Alan Menken (born 1949), who revived the musical genre in film industry and created ‘a whole new world’ of eclectic, ingenious and beautiful scores for Walt Disney Company’s films. It all started with The Little Mermaid (1989), an animated masterpiece which gloriously came to theaters after many years of Disney’s financial and creative problems. The rest is history. Menken continued to compose wonderfully lavish melodies that touched almost every child and movielover in the world. He is also the most awarded composer in history; with 11 Grammys, 8 Oscars and 7 Golden Globes.
This week we thankfully celebrate Alan Menken for giving us so many joyful moments with our favorite Disney’s characters.
TOP 5 SCORES:
1. The Little Mermaid (1989, dir: Ron Clemens, Jon Musker)
2. Beauty and the Beast (1991, dir: Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise)
3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996, dir: Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise)
4. Aladdin (1992, dir: Ron Clemens, Jon Musker)
5. Enchanted (2007, dir: Kevin Lima)
Alan Menken – The Little Mermaid (Under the Sea)
Alan Menken – The Little Mermaid (Part of Your World)
Alan Menken – The Little Mermaid (Kiss the Girl)
Alan Menken – Beauty and the Beast (Beauty and the Beast)
Alan Menken – The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Sanctuary!)
Alan Menken – Enchanted (So Close)